Research attorney Peter Gerston stated "officials simply do not disclose secret information whether it be in the interests of national security or in their own vested interests.""
Don’t know what to do: The cover-up may simply be a case of the government not knowing what to do about the ET situation. They might be simply covering up their ignorance.
Wilbert Smith, who headed up the Canadian government investigation into flying saucers from 1950-1954, said "The only reason that those in authority have said nothing about it is that they simply don’t know what to do about it. "
This not knowing what to do led to a situation inside the Canadian government of helplessness. Wilbert B. Smith stated, "Fact is when certain government officials came face to face with the reality of the space people, and realized there was nothing they could do about it, they promptly closed their eyes and hoped the whole thing would go away."
Fear: The President and other high officials might simply afraid. Afraid to deal with the issue. When President Clinton and his executive branch people took over the government in 1993, Dr. Steven Greer obtained an inside opportunity to brief Congressman Dan Burton, the chairman of the powerful House Government Reform and Oversight Committee. Burton was very interested in the UFO case that was being made by Greer. He asked Greer for everything that he had on the subject.
One year later Burton had backed off his UFO quest after he and his chief aid experienced some strange surveillance indications. On an interview with Art Bell on the radio show "Coast to Coast" Greer stated that Burton had now become like everyone else in government - afraid of dealing with the issue. "The problem is no one wants to act," said Greer. "They’re not acting because they are afraid."
Edgar Mitchell, the Apollo 14 astronaut commented on the reason for the secrecy based on information that had been shared with him by old timers familiar with the intelligence factors related to the UFO cover-up. Mitchell said there is a very simple reason why governments have been so secretive: fear.
In-house Secrecy: The government, particularly the executive branch of the government would like to deal with the issue in secrecy. In the early years of government involvement, the government dealt with the UFO issue in part by the use of a public investigation – Project Blue Book. The whole project turned out to be a public relations nightmare where the government was forced to deal publicly with every UFO sighting, and other non-related items that people believed were related to the phenomena.
It is much easier to deal with an issue, especially one where there is no roadmap, in secrecy where dirty laundry and mistakes can be handled outside the scrutiny of media and the public.
Alien Cover-up: The aliens are covering up as well. They appear to be using what some researchers call a "leaky embargo." They present themselves but in a way that proof can not be confirmed. Instead of landing and announcing they are here, they fly beside aircraft for a number of minutes, or pass messages to lone individuals who take the message to the world.
The aliens could land anytime they want and make themselves known. The aliens have refused to directly announce their presence, and this forces hesitation on behalf of the government.
If the aliens won’t announce, why should the government go first? The government is waiting to see what the ultimate goal of the aliens is.
Alien Masters: The aliens are in fact in charge. They directly or control everything related to their presence and the future disclosure of their presence. This is something the government could never admit publicly.
Government files illustrate a number of disturbing UFO sighting reports that show "hostile actions" by the aliens. Does the government want to announce this to the public, especially if the government can not control events?
Government gridlock: The announcement of an ET presence on earth would be front page news for months. It would stymie and dominate the government’s every action and not allow it to carry out any of its planned business. It would be Monica Lewinski situation times 1000.
Agencies like NASA would become irrelevant overnight. The government would face the question of why they continued to fund NASA when they knew the primate space efforts were a waste of taxpayer money.
Population Resistance: The government knows that the population is not ready to deal with aliens. It is conceivable that a certain percentage of citizens would not accept the alien presence and would in fact attack the aliens.
This is something that the government would have a hard time controlling as American citizens have a constitutional right to bear arms. The aliens might be seen as invaders or agents of the devil "in sheep’s clothing."
Any attack against the aliens might result in a counterattack causing massive damage on the country. (This point, however, is good news, as it shows the aliens could never take over no matter what advanced technology they had. They would end up bogged down in a Vietnam style quagmire like the one facing the United States today in Iraq.)
People Don’t Care: In the last 57 years the President has only faced the UFO question twice. In the 2004 election there was not a single UFO related question to one of the two major candidates. The people therefore do not see the UFO-ET presence as a key issue. Why would the government risk all the potential fallouts for an issue that no one cares about?
Past statements: The government has lied for almost 60 years and thus must continue the lie. One lie has been used to cover another and it is becoming impossible to come clean. The government must first come up with a way to explain they have been misleading the public for 57 years.
Collapse in Belief systems: This would be particularly evident among government scientists and engineers who would have to deal with the fact that their employer has been lying to them and feeding them false data, and more importantly the fact that most of their treasured beliefs in science we wrong.
The 1961 Brooking Institute study looked at this situation.
""It has been speculated that of all groups, scientists and engineers might be the most devastated by the discovery of relatively superior creatures, since these professions are most clearly associated with the mastery of nature, rather than with the understanding and expression of man."
As science fuels the modern technological advances, and upheaval would negatively affect the economy.
Fear of Death: One possibility is that the President has been threatened with death by the control group. Steven Greer told a story that a close friend of Bill Clinton’s had told him that "If the President does what you say - he fears that he will end up like Jack Kennedy." This theory of the President being threatened with death to keep him quiet is actually quite popular in the UFO community. There have even been controversial documents leaked into the UFO community that even claim Kennedy was assassinated because he gave the order to declassify the ET presence.
Old Style Conservatives: Like in some religious settings the "conservatives" want to hang on to status quo as long as possible. The government would have to deal with this group which would not be willing to negotiate or compromise. This is commonly described as the reason major newspapers do not follow the UFO story. The editors are just simply old style skeptic conservatives.
There is a rumor in the UFO community that there is a split in the UFO control group over whether or not to disclose. As there is no disclosure it would appear that the conservatives still hold the majority of the votes.
Weapons Development: There is a need to develop ET technology in secret into super-weapons in case of alien attack. There is also a great desire by the military weapons people to develop weapons that are more efficient at killing. The alien technology would be a dream come true for weapon development people. Developers who control the technology may want to keep things secret to solidify their control over the technology before the public finds out. "My friends," wrote Peter Gersten, "as long as technology is the prize, no official disclosure will ever take place."
Lead Time: If the American military people have figured out 70% of the secrets behind the alien technology it would be dangerous to release this. The piece released might be exactly the piece required by the enemy to complete their weapons system. The defense sector knows that in modern war lead time is critical, as many present day wars only last days or months. Any advantage gained by alien technology would develop a weapons lead time of months or years. This would give the enemy no time to build their own system.
This lead time problem would also apply to lead times that might have been gained by an enemy also working on alien technology. Giving our adversaries an indication of what we know would allow the enemy to attack if he knew we had no counter measure.
Reverse Engineering – The government is buying for time till they have completed back engineering crashed saucers.
Need to Know: The population does not have the need to know. As one Navy Captain told researcher Ray Stanford in 1964 "those dealing with the problem are capable of rational judgment in the face of the unexpected. They know the facts… people are not ready to know the facts."
This is a strong principle inside the military that they have special access to information that the population should not be given access to for various reasons. UFOs have always been described as a "need to know" item. Vice President Dick Cheney for example, when asked if he had been officially briefed on the subject of UFOs stated "If I had been briefed on that subject, it probably would have been classified and I wouldn’t be talking about it."
Kickbacks and Profits: He who has the gold makes the rules. If the cover-up is controlled by insiders, as many believe, they could be resisting disclosure because of astronomical profits and kickbacks to be made from siphoning classified extraterrestrial ultra-technology into insider corporations.
Knowledge is power, and power brings profit in the capitalist system.
Lose of power: Power brokers who know control the situation would definitely lose power. They would definitely have less power in a World style government because the U.S. population is very small.
Dependence on Oil: The entire economy is dependant on oil, and everyone addicted to it has become addicted to the technologies involved. It is part of the status quo, and people don’t like change.
Oil also involves a lot of money and jobs. This would be a major factor in keeping the money flowing to the people who are benefiting now.
Retooling an economy based almost entirely on oil would be very disruptive to society.
Short Sightedness: The government operates in the short term, and UFOs is a long term issue. Steven Greer stated that a person attached to the National Security advisor to President Reagan stated that long term in the government is 5 years.
The President only has a term of 4 years, and because he is always seeking votes his main interests usually lie in things that are achievable in his four year term. This is especially true if one measures the possible fallout of disclosure vs the votes that could be gained.
In a related point some military sources have said that government officials such as the President transitional figures; around for no more than eight years. There is no reason to bring them into a very complex issue for such a small period of time.
Nationalism: Disclosure of the ET presence would transfer citizen allegiance from the United States to the world. It has often been said, "Nationalism is the only game in town."
A future consideration is that if there is a one world view, the military, weapons developers, and security services people would find it hard to sell weapons and fear.
Government Black Operations - Many UFOs are secret government experiments that must be protected by covering up all sightings. This was the case made in the 1997 CIA study "A Die-Hard Issue: CIA's Role in the Study of UFOs, 1947-90," written by CIA historian Gerald K. Haines. Haines stated that most of the UFOs seen since 1947 were caused by intelligence planes such as the U-2 and the SR-71.
Abductions: If the government would to disclose that there is an ET presence here on earth, one of the first questions that would be asked to the President is "As President you are constitutionally responsible for the protection of the American people. It has been estimated that 6-8 million people have been abducted by the extraterrestrials. In light of this Mr. President what are you doing to stop it." Based on presently available evidence it appears that not only does the President not know how to stop it, he probably does not even know why the aliens are doing it.
Mutilations: The confirmation by the government that 10,000 or more cattle have been mutilated would send panic throughout the American populous. The fact that the government had known and did nothing to stop it would lead to a rash of lawsuits from farmers all over the country. As the government can do nothing to stop the mutilations – they would be faced with a no win situation. If the government itself is doing the mutilations as some claim, this naturally could never be released under any circumstances.
Some contend that there have been human mutilations, and if true it appears that the government can not stop this either. The confirmation of a human element to the mutilation phenomena would be like a nuclear bomb going off in Washington, D.C.
27. Viruses: There is a very strong story that in January 1996, at least one alien was captured in Varginha, Brazil. One policeman Marco Eli Chereze was the key person who captured the alien and held him as they went to the hospital. Within days Marco developed other tumors and minor infection points all over his body, and he was dead in less than a month.
41. Quite simply, we wouldn't have known how to deal with the technology of intelligent beings advanced enough to send a craft to Earth.
42.Status Quo: Things aren’t all that bad, and its not worth the trouble that might arise from disclosure. Dr. Eric Walker was the former president at Penn State University, and former Chairman of the Board at the Institute for Defense Analysis, which is the top military think tank to the Defense Department. When asked to talk while he was still alive, Walker shot back, "What’s all the after all, forty years have gone by, and nobody's blown up the world."
Everyone has a job and the people are satisfied enough to have given George Bush a second term in the White House. Don’t rock the boat. The secret weapon should be brought out only in the most extreme situations. There are still oil options to exploit like the Alaska nature areas.
43. Psi Warfare: There is much to indicate that mental phenomena are a large part of how the aliens fly the craft and how they communicate and control UFO abductees. The intelligence community would die for this technology, and would be very afraid of such technology falling into enemy hands.
The fact that "mental phenomena" is a key part of the UFO phenomena can be found as far back as a Canadian Top Secret memo written by the head of the government’s UFO program Wilbert Smith. He wrote,
I was further informed that the United States authorities are investigating along quite a number of lines which might possibly be related to the saucers such as mental phenomena and I gather that they are not doing too well since they indicated that if Canada is doing anything in geo-magnetics they would welcome a discussion with suitably accredited Canadians.
The idea that "mind control" technology is part of the reason for the cover-up was even raised with President Clinton’s science advisor in 1994 by Cecil B. Jones. Jones was a partner with Laurance Rockefeller in their initiative to get President Clinton to declassify classified UFO files.
In a February 17, 1994 from Jones to Dr. Jack Gibbon’s Jones wrote,
44. Loss of Agenda: The President that makes the ET reality announcement will face numerous fallouts, and his entire presidential agenda will be overrun by the ET issue.
45. President as Goat: Fear by the President of being the goat. History could record the disclosing president as being the hero, but there is an equal chance he might be seen as the president who ruined everything. It might be this human nature fear that stops the President from releasing.
46. Alien’s Hidden Agenda: The main mission of the visiting ET presence is not clear. Until this is clear it would be dangerous to release. The wacko UFO element will get a lot of media coverage without any concrete evidence to counter the wild claims.
The aliens are withholding the announcement of their presence for a reason. If the government announces and the aliens don’t, the government would then be forced to explain the secrecy being used by the aliens. It is apparent that the aliens have not shared this with the government.
47. No answers: The government has no answer to many aspects of the UFO phenomena such as cattle mutilations or human abduction. Moreover, the government not only does not know how to stop it – they don’t even know why the aliens are doing it. It would be absolutely impossible to put the President of the United States in front of a news conference where he would be made out as "the emperor with no clothes."
48. Counter-intelligence against the American people: In order to hide their ignorance on the UFO situation the government was forced to spread false stories within public media sources that they had control of the situation. The government is finding their ignorance on the situation. All stories about Area 51, alien alliances for technology, and back engineered alien technologies are nothing more that counter intelligence designed to convince the public they have the ET situation under control.
49. Alien airspace: The aliens are allowed to fly around in U.S. airspace at will. It appears that all NORAD officials do is watch. We could never release this fact to the American population.
50. Mass shock and world-wide panic: Despite the notion that society has matured, the government knows that shock and panic would be the order of the day. People did panic during 911 and in the 2003 Northeast blackout. Even President George W. Bush panicked in the hours following 911.
In both cases the New York Stock exchange had to be closed to stop a meltdown in stock prices.
51. Stock Market Collapse: There would be a meltdown of the stock market. Those in control own stock. They would therefore hesitate to do things that would eliminate their holdings.
Oil stocks would lose most of their value within minutes of the confirmation of an extraterrestrial presence. This would lead to other panicked traders selling other stocks to protect their positions. In the cases of the 911 attack and the 2003 blackout the stock market crashed and there was not much the government could do except to close the market before it reached zero. The government was able to open the market after a couple days after convincing the population that they had the situation under control, and that the event would never happen again. In the case of UFOs there is no indication that the government has any control over the situation, so opening the stock market would lead to a continued meltdown.
A close associate of Wilbert Smith who did metallurgic analysis of UFO fragments for Smith told me clearly in an interview I did with him in the 1970s, "If you ever find out that they are going to release the UFO secret tomorrow, be sure you sell everything you have today, because tomorrow everything will be worth nothing."
52. End of Nationalism: People would transfer their allegiance from the United States to the world. The consequences for the American government and all its departments would be obvious. In the new system whose rules would dominate? Would Americans still be allowed to control the vast majority of world resources with their small population?
Situations like the collapse of the former Soviet Union into more than a dozen countries shows clearly that the desire among humans is still to division and a sense of nationalism based on race, religion, and political belief structures.
53. Free Energy Dilemma: Free energy to countries like China and India with 50 cent an hour labor rates would devastate the American economy.
It will be important for the American government to retain control over the new technology so it can be used to maintain the present economic world view. It will also be important to control the technology because it could be used by terrorists against American interest at home and around the world. There have been many examples in UFO sightings which show that the alien technology has great potential for destruction.
54. Procrastination: The nature of government is to procrastinate on everything. Of all the issues being put off to another time, the ET presence is the biggest. Henry Kissinger, a former Secretary of State for Richard Nixon and often rumored to be a member of the UFO control group, was rumored to have stated, "UFOs are the biggest hot potato in Washington."
Rarely does a government take up a new idea and simply pass it. Government flows with the pressures exerted by lobby groups and polls. They are in power to carry out the will of the people, not introduce new ideas.
55. Religious Fallout: The government fears there will be very negative fallout inside the religious community which is the basis of American society. Conservative religious leaders might declare aliens the agents of the devil and a religious war could break out.
56. Shift in Credibility: If the government were to disclose they would lose all their credibility on the subject after years of lies. This distrust would spill over into statements being made by government officials on other non-UFO related items. The power would shift from the government to the UFO community.
More importantly, the credibility on telling the UFO story would shift to the UFO community who will claim they were right all along. Many in the media and public will look to the UFO community for answers.
However, many in the UFO community know that the community is not united, and there are some fringe elements. These fringe elements will be giving the major media sources stories like humans are being served in an alien McDonald’s on the back side of the moon serving up humans. Researchers with negative alien viewpoints could spin the abduction and animal mutilation stories into an uncontrollable public relations disaster. These stories will carry similar weight to researchers with a more conservative view. The media would not know who to believe.
57. Overpopulation: New alien medical technologies would cut disease and increase life spans which would cause rapid overpopulation. Some estimated state 23,000 children needlessly die each day from disease and hunger. Most of these children, however, are in third countries that are causing damage to the American economy with cheap imports because of low wages. Allowing their populations to increase faster would aggravate the problem.
This massive growth in third world populations would upset the present world order. The American government is elected to represent its voters and not people in other countries.
58. An uncontrolled Release: Any attempt to make a partial disclosure announcement (the ETs are here but we won’t talk about areas of the subject that are still classified) would give the green light to people who are "read into" the program. These people might consider the partial disclosure as a green light to start talking about what they know. This might include material the government doesn’t want released.
59. Increased terrorist power: The new technologies might fall into the hands of terrorists. They would be far more effective with this in their war against America. Complete control of the powerful UFO technologies would be the only safe alternative. The technology must be controlled in the same way nuclear technology has been guarded for the past 60 years.
60. Ridicule: The reason for the cover-up is the same reason other paranormal subjects are kept secret. Those in power are afraid of ridicule by the media. Ridicule can be used by political opponents to gain votes.
A prime example of this is the story of Nancy Reagan and her use of an astrologer to determine the President’s daily schedule, or the case of Hillary Clinton who was accused of channeling with new age guru Jean Houston. In both cases the President lost a lot of political capitol, and public relations people had to work hard to restore the White House as a place where sane and down to earth people live.
61. Foreign Weapons: Government is concerned some UFOs may be other nations weapons systems. In 1953 the U.S. Air Force had a project called "Blue Moon" to try and photograph unidentified enemy aircraft. It was hoped the project would identify new enemy prototypes, modifications and installations being made on present enemy aircraft. The idea is to secretly study all unknown in hopes of identifying advanced technology which could be used by the U.S. military, or might be a threat to U.S. military.
62. No Public Support – Ufology groups have been unable to marshal up the public support to create a massive demonstration and force the issue of disclosure. Therefore disclosure is an issue people don’t demand. The lack of support allows the control group to continue the secrecy. If the situation was really serious and detrimental to the well being of society more people would speak up. When UFOs is viewed as a bread and butter issue, the secrecy will end.
63. Sources& Methods – Any disclosure announcement would confirm the locations of where the back engineering technologies have been taking place. This is free intelligence to the enemy allowing them to point their spies and satellites in the right direction.
64. Dead pilots- In the early days of the modern UFO era the U.S.A.F. made a number of attempts to shoot down UFOs. There were many reports of pilots dieing and there are rumors that the actual number would be a source of embarrassment to the control group should there be a disclosure.
65. Nuclear Weapons – This is one of the main reasons UFOs are here – the evils of nuclear weapons. The government would never admit this as they would have to disassemble all their nuclear weapons and the industry around it.
Disclose or Continue to Cover-up?
Despite these many drawbacks to disclosure there appears to be one overriding reasons for disclosure. In almost every case these drawbacks will all still exist when disclosure finally takes place, and there is no doubt disclosure is coming. It is only a matter of time.
Therefore we have a choice to disclose and go through the pain of the release now when oil is reaching $60.00 a barrel, or we can go through it in 20 years when oil reaches $600.00 a barrel.
It is similar to the analogy of smoking. You can either quit smoking when you get the warning or wait until the diagnosis that you have lung cancer. The chances for survival seem to clearly indicate that procrastination is not a viable option when it comes to disclosure.
Government and control groups are, however, much like people. They will procrastinate until forced to end the present policy. Until they are pressed into a corner they will continue to believe that it will be better to let sleeping dogs lie.